Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Little Bit of Everything...

This morning is my dreaded glucose test, so I am up early hoping to just get it over with! I have been working with my girls on becoming more independent and responsible and just in the past three weeks there has been some improvement. R is more willing to try new things and be adventurous so it has been easier to get her helping with chores, getting dressed, going potty by herself, etc.

K on the other hand requires much more coaxing, bargaining and reminding which has become difficult for me, at times. She has a stuffed giraffe that she is very attached to and at times, such as trying to get out the door, we have to take him away until her tasks are completed. One time he actually had to stay home because she did not follow directions with only one reminder. That was a very rough day!

We have also found that she is better able to follow directions without distraction of the TV and her LeapPad so before we have to get ready we have to make sure to turn those things off and move them out of her way.

The biggest struggle with her is that she lacks motivation to try new things and do things for herself. She just this week lifted the toilet seat on her own and that is only because I absolutely would not do it for her. Once she did it we cheered for her and she has been doing it ever since without a problem. She is also notorious for being asked to pick something up and saying "No R will get it". We have had many struggles over this and I have learned that consistency really is the key. If I allow R to pick up and don't include K then that just reinforces that she does not need to be responsible for her toys. It is a work in progress, but I just wanted to share our progress and what I have learned thus far.

I have also been working on some activity to do on Monday in order to introduce Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I have been sifting through ideas on Pinterest and bouncing ideas off other moms and cannot wait to share them with everyone after Monday. I am really hoping the girls will be interested in learning about him. I plan to provide more information about him each year because at the age of 2 and 3 I don't think it would be beneficial to bombard them with his whole life story when they won't be able to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment