Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What to Pack for the Hospital

I have not updated about Baby #3 in a while. Last week I had an ultrasound to make sure that I am not dilating and to check the baby's anatomy. All looked well and she is measuring exactly to her due date. The doctor told me she weighs 2 lbs 1 oz.  It was amazing to see her little face in the 3D/4D ultrasound and see that she looks just like R. I will be curious to see if that is how she still looks when she is born.

Anyway as I am approaching the 30 week mark I begin to get nervous because this is when I went into labor with R. I have decided that I will spend this weekend packing as much as possible so it is just ready to go out the door. K and R were both born in March and I always packed my bag the first weekend of January. I know that seems a little early but I am a planner. Anyway, I was very thankful I did when I went into labor on February 1st with R and my husband had to come home and get my bag. I still cannot imagine what my bag would have looked like if he would have had to pack it for me. It was bad enough that he took my clothes home with him when I was admitted to the hospital and forgot to bring me new ones when he picked me up at discharge. Thankfully the nurses let me wear some extra scrubs home, free of charge.

Any way, I have made my list and have it broken down into three categories. Some of it is self explanatory, other things I will explain.

First and foremost, I have a bag for myself.

This bag includes:
  1. My laptop and the charger *
  2. Phone charger *
  3. Insurance Card *
  4. PJs-2 pair (my hospital stay is usually three days total. Depending on time of delivery I will take a shower as soon as possible and change into a pair and then have a pair in case they get dirty or just to have as a fresh back up.)
  5. Bras- 2
  6. Socks-2
  7. Slippers (some people like flip flops, but I like nice, cozy feet)
  8. Money (for my husband for the vending machine)
  9. Camera and Batteries (With K our camera batteries died right before she was born. Thank goodness for phones that can take pictures.)
In a second bag I pack some toiletries. Some hospitals provide some or all of these items, but mine do not. Here is what I include:
  1. Soap, Shampoo and Conditioner, Lotion in the travel size
  2. Deodorant
  3. Q-Tips
  4. Nursing Pads (These are important even if you aren't planning on breastfeeding!)
  5. Toothbrush/Toothpaste
  6. Brush/Hair ties/Bobby Pins
  7. Makeup*
  8. Depends (These are optional, but I have found them to be more comfortable than the mesh underwear provided and the pads that are really big and move around. They were suggested to me when I was pregnant with K and my mom got a small pack for me before I had her and they turned out to be such a blessing. I had no leaks and used them for the first three weeks until I could transition to my regular pads and underwear)
Finally, I pack a bag for the baby:
  1. 1 pair of footie pajamas (my girls will each be bringing another pair for the baby to wear (including the going home pair which they picked out!)
  2. Big Sister Gifts (I will post about these later, when I get the all ready)
  3. Pacifier (the hospital provides one but they don't always use it when I request so I bring my own).
  4. Her fuzzy blanket
  5. Carseat
  6. 3 Burp Cloths (In the past I have used one of the receiving blankets the hospital provides but I just think it is gross so this time I am going to bring some because if this baby is even half the puker as the other two it will still be a disaster)
* These items will be grabbed as we head out the door since we will have to use them up until the time we leave.

I hope this helps someone feel more organized when getting ready for the hospital. I know it is a huge stress trying to make sure you have everything so this list has been helpful for my planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment